Sacred Heart School is a faith-based community of faculty, parents and staff dedicated to educating the hearts and minds of children from preschool through 8th grade.
There are three important components to this mission. As a school, we hold ourselves to the high academic standards that our children require to be successful lifelong learners. As a pillar of our parish, we instill the values of our faith so that our children grow spiritually as well as intellectually. As a community, we work in partnership with parents to surround our students with people who care about them and their future.
Families came together with the united purpose of educating hearts and minds when Sacred Heart School was founded over 100 years ago. We renew that purpose each year, incorporating new tools and resources to ensure that we continue to fulfill our mission amidst the opportunities and challenges of the 21st century.
Currently a ministry of Divine Mercy Parish, Sacred Heart School opened its doors in 1902 as part of Sacred Heart Parish. Reverend F. J. Haarth, Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, started the school with 56 students and a staff of Franciscan Sisters from Joliet. In 1909, the school had a total of 85 students and a graduating eighth grade class of 9 students.
The original school building was torn down, and in 1952 doors on the new building were opened to students. Monsignor Hillenbrand, pastor at that time, wrote to parishioners, "Children are the most important charges of a parish because their lives are just unfolding for them. The school that educates them is most important because they are."
Sacred Heart School has been blessed to educate the "hearts and minds" of generations of families.